Today's prompt is "Finally I understand." What comes to mind for me is the compassion and empathy I've developed as I've gotten older. In particular, passing the half-century mark seems to have put a lot of things into perspective. In particular, I wish I'd been more thoughtful, way more appreciative and much kinder. And actually listened.
Comeuppance
When I was young
I was heartless.
I reaped and
reaped, taking
joyfully, earnestly of
the good things
that were offered
to me.
I embraced life relentlessly,
mindlessly moving
forward.
I could not hear
the cries of
those I'd brought
to their knees
with my naivete,
still trying to reach me
as they faded
into the past.
It was a long time
coming, but
I understand now
the emptiness of
my extended youth.
Now I'm the one
who cries out,
grieving for the
opportunity to
redress the pain
I caused so recklessly.
That last verse got me. Great work, Christine!
ReplyDeleteOh thank you! And thanks for stopping by. :-)
DeleteI read it forwards and backwards verse by verse. There is something about hitting that halfway mark, I hit mine a few years ago, that brings a different perspective. Thanks for participating in OctPoWriMo, I really enjoyed reading your poem.
ReplyDeletePeace,
Morgan
Morgan, thank you for reading it so intently. Much more so that I did I'm sure. I really enjoy OctPo!
DeleteWow! I can so relate to your poem, especially the last stanza. Some of my earlier stanzas would have told of my sharp tongue and arrogant ways. Thank goodness we learn and work to do better. Thanks so much for sharing. xoA
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm hoping that I can be better going forward. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Delete