Friday, October 6, 2017

OctPo Day 6: Shadows walk with me

Today's prompt is really meant to be about how we are plagued by unwanted habits and nervous energy. These things cling to us like a shadow, and I guess you could say they are. They are part of our shadow selves that we reject but that seep out any way they can. 

I'm moved to write of the shadows that creep into my room in the darkest night hours. They wait until I'm deep asleep, waking me with a jolt and turning my mind into a haunted house with no way out. In the morning, all is forgotten except a few wisps of shadow, easily brushed away. For now.


dark places

the shadows
walk behind me
as I carry out
my day

I stretch the day
with light and
sound
long past dusk
but they will
have their time

in the wee
hours
my eyes open
wide

my heart in my
chest beating
like
silent bat-wings
in the dark

as I'm cornered
in my own mind
my thoughts
turned
against me

as one waits
for a fever
to break
so I wait
for morning


4 comments:

  1. "as I'm cornered/ in my own mind/ my thoughts/ turned/ against me"

    I always thought being alone or having time to think was a good thing, but maybe the shadows can be too overpowering. Beautifully dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hate middle-of-the-night anxiety.

      I didn't mean to write a Halloween poem, but I'm definitely getting that vibe from it now.

      Delete
  2. Your poem has me thinking about my own shadows and fears of the dark. Well done.

    Peace,
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete