Sunday, October 1, 2017

OctPo Day 1: How Did I Get Here?

Hey everyone! I've decided to get back into the swing of it with OctPoWriMo this year. I have such wonderful memories of participating in OctPo in the past, and I think it's good for me to stretch myself creatively and to connect with others doing the same. It's a wonderful challenge--and it IS a challenge. But it's also supremely rewarding. 

Today's prompt is about exploring how you came to be. Where are you from, who are you now? My family has deep roots in the central Appalachian area of America. My surname is straight-up English, and my DNA hints at Celts and Vikings. And here I am, in California now, as Left Coast as they come.


Stranger

I've grown too
strange, 
the world too wide.

I'm a stranger
to the hills
of my grandfathers,
and to the work
of their wives.

Would I hear
if they called me
inside?

2 comments:

  1. I love the rhythm of this poem, it really drew me in and made me feel the distance between present and past. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! And thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete