Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Reverb13 day 10 prompt: Inspiration

What has inspired me in 2013? So much! There were many, many moments where I was inspired by people, ideas, art, and events.

This artist inspired me with both her art and her life. I adore her art (and deeply regret not buying a piece!) and fell hard for the story of her adventures traveling from Seattle to Antarctica to Alaska and more. Creative, adventurous, talented, determined--she's everything I wanted to be in my 20s but didn't have the courage. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

I was also inspired to take up pencil and charcoal again, and found that I too can still create art that pleases me. The drop-in figure studio I attended felt just like being back in college art classes. The smells of oil paint and turpentine (or whatever less toxic substitute they use now), the ritual around setting up the model, the quiet punctuated by the scratching of pencil and charcoal on paper, was all soothing and familiar. Despite the fact than I now need glasses to see my work and that I can't stand at the easel for as long at a time, it felt like home. I only went a couple of times, but just knowing it's still a place I fit in is enough for now.

Seeing my friends achieve their goals in ways big and small reminded me that I too have a shot at achieving my dreams, still. Conversations at the cafe confirmed that community and connection is something I want more of, and I felt profoundly grateful at times to be reminded of this, of how dear I hold my friends and acquaintances. Our beautiful fall this year, with its fiery leaves and refreshing cloudbursts, lightened my heart as I tapped in to what I love about this city, how inspiring nature can be and the importance of place.

Finally, the stagnation of the past several years inspired me to dream of something better, and to finally act on it. I am hopeful that I can bring all of this and more into the life I create for myself in 2014 and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. May your every dream come true in the new year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I'm feeling tentatively optimistic.

      Delete