Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 13: Something I'm Proud Of

I'm a good cook! I really enjoy cooking, and especially baking. My specialty is pie. And who doesn't like pie?

I got my start at pie baking alongside my Mom at holidays starting in my teens. Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the Fourth of July were big pie-baking holidays in my family; I quickly gained a reputation for making great pies. I even invented a version of peanut butter pie for my Dad, hoping to recreate one we ate when I was little.

I take great pride in the crusts I make from scratch. I've used Crisco, butter, and a combination of the two. I've used lard (and once tried to render my own--big mistake) and vegan shortenings. They all work, and I'm proud to be able to turn out something worth celebrating nearly every time.

I'm sad to say that I don't bake nearly as much as I used to or as much as I'd like to. But I always make sure to bake several pies during the holidays, and I hope to be perfecting my technique for many years to come!


So Fawned 30 Days Hath November

2 comments:

  1. You and Stan are my two favorite pie makers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Stan is one of MY favorite pie makers. And congratulations for being the first to comment on this blog!

      Delete