So yeah, I skipped over a bunch of prompts due to the Thanksgiving holiday, which was somewhat difficult. I'm not sure if that means that I've "failed" at the blogging challenge. Technically, I suppose it does. But I think I'm okay with that, for now anyway.
Oddly, considering how difficult and stressful Thanksgiving was, I'm really looking forward to Christmas! I absolutely haven't given up on the holidays, even though much has changed that I wish had stayed the same. This is mostly due to changes in my family, which I touched on in a previous post.
I've always loved the period between Halloween and New Years! Some of it is that I simply adore fall, and the holidays are just another wonderful part of that. But I also love the increased pace of everything, the sense of busyness and anticipation. And the lights that go up everywhere are so magical! I love stepping out of work into a downtown aglow with lights winking softly in the trees and shining like bright beacons from department stores. And driving through the neighborhoods to look at Christmas decorations reminds me of doing that with my Dad when I was little. I love it still, and I love how it connects me to those good times.
And there's the food and the parties! This makes it sound like I go to a lot of parties, but I don't. I wish I did, just to have an excuse to bake. I keep thinking I ought to throw a holiday party, but the reality is that people are mostly so rushed that nobody can make it. And I might be jinxed--every time I've tried to have a holiday party, it hasn't gone off. My party of one is usually putting up the Christmas tree while streaming holiday music. I'm a total sap for Christmas music.
I get excited every year at this time, and every year I'm somewhat disappointed. The season never lives up to my imagined one overflowing with good will, prosperity, abundance, and most of all connecting with those I love. It's the sharing and giving that make this time so special. Ideally, anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment