Wednesday, October 29, 2014

OctPo Day 29: Love

Today we write of love. Of loves past or present, whether we are madly in love or remember a love with fondness or regret. I'm not sure where I stand when it comes to love. At mid-life, I no longer feel as compelled by desire as I used to. It's an unsure time, and I have no idea what the future holds. So, I reflect on the past here.



Pyre

Yes
I've known love,
hot and fast
and dizzying and
euphoric, like
dancing on burning
coals, faster
and faster

I've known
kinder loves, 
slow and sweet
and steady and 
too good for the
likes of me

I cut my heart out
over and over
again, and then
tried to fill 
the hole
I made there

Nothing grows
there now, and
the frenzied dance
has ended

Perhaps one day
from the ashes
of that which
consumed me,
real love
can bloom

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes it blooms in the most unexpected places, and in the most unexpected ways. And you're left going "huh. didn't see that coming." :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does! And it's so much sweeter for being unexpected and unlooked for.

      Delete
  2. Ah Christine, I want to hug you and tell you that love comes in all shapes and sizes and as long as you stay open, it will find you, Of course we have to love ourselves first and that seems to be the hardest for most people.

    Very well written, I felt every word.

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Morgan! What a lovely comment. Why is love so difficult?

      Delete