Today's poetry prompt is to "write a poem influenced by your feelings about autumn." Well, I have many feelings about it, mostly positive. I love fall! But I chose instead to say a long goodbye to summer, as here in Northern California summer tries to hang on until Halloween.
Word prompts: chill, changing, harvest
Late summer
Green leaves and
warm days
belie
the subtle chill of
morning
that burns off brightly
with none the
wiser.
Let's ignore
the changing leaves
that fall here
and there,
and still pretend
it's summer.
Too soon
a cold night wind
will blow away
the last of
summer's warmth,
heralding
autumn's harvest
of squashes, nuts
and red fruits.
just today I as lamenting that our garden is full of pumpkins and squash and winter veg and NO tomatoes! To think I could complain of such a thing... what a goof! I love your poem...it brings such pictures to mind.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed an exquisitely sweet heirloom tomato today on the most perfect burger ever! Tomatoes are to be cherished while they last. Enjoy your pumpkins!! :-)
DeleteBeautiful! Your poem reminded me why I love Autumn - although I wish for Summers never to end.... :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you! I always look forward to fall, but at the first hint of summer's waning, I feel a hint of sadness.
DeleteI love your imagery. Simple and yet very poignant! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I struggled a bit to get it to come together. Worth the effort though.
DeleteLovely words. Personally, I love the harvest. I think it's a positive thing. Not so keen on the snow sometimes though!
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com
I love the harvest too! Once it gets going, I prefer fall to summer. Thanks for stopping by! Love your blog. :-)
Delete