Saturday, October 4, 2014

OctPo Day 4: Poetry revolution

Today's poetry prompt is revolution! I had a really hard time with this. I've never been a passionate activist, although there are certainly issues I care deeply about. One of those is the economic situation in the United States right now. I'm quite concerned about issues like wage stagnation, a shrinking middle-class, and what seems like a decrease in the number of stable jobs. I'm not sure if we're in a death spiral, or ripe for revolution, or both.


Free fall

there's lots of talk
in the news today
folks might be working
but
barely get paid
nickled and dimed
can hardly get by
are just hanging on
or have 
just 

let 

go
.
.
.


2 comments:

  1. I felt this poem in my chest. "nickled and dimed" so much what is happening today. Thanks for sharing and linking up with OctPoWriMo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! It's a really depressing (and scary) situation, I hope that we can find a way to bring on the change we desperately need.

      Delete