I love to people-watch. I've always been a loner, and frequent cafes, movie theaters, restaurants, bars and libraries by myself. Without a companion, my attention is drawn mostly to the people around me. And no matter where I am, they are fascinating. We humans are fascinating!
And I'm often inspired by the people I see, especially in vibrant communities and neighborhoods like Seattle's Capitol Hill, or pretty much anyplace in Sebastopol, CA, where I live now. Sebastopol is full of creative free-thinkers who do their own thing, and when I see someone who is fully self-expressed it's incredibly inspiring!
I'm always looking around for role models, especially women older than me who have successfully confronted the challenges of their forties and early fifties. Who accepted the changes inherent in this life-stage and have created new, stronger, more authentic selves and lives. A couple of weeks ago, I saw this lovely woman, probably a little older than me, who was just radiating vitality and well-being. She stood straight and moved with grace and energy. She seemed ageless, and appeared unconstrained by society's expectations for a woman in older middle-age.
When I'm feeling like I want to give up and give in, and let fear and depression take me, I see these women--these people--and remember that I have a choice.
Stopping by on the 12th day of the #atozchallenge. Having a good time today blog hopping, saying hi and moving on. If you have time or interest, I am writing about gardening and related topics this month. Come and visit.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! I'll be sure to swing by your blog. :-)
DeleteHi Christine,
ReplyDeleteI just read all of your posts for the A-Z challenge, and am planning on returning to read your older posts when this challenge thing is over (currently practicing my time management skills, lol).
I value the things you're saying. I admire your taking on caregiving responsibilities. Changing your life so dramatically couldn't have been easy. Aging is brutal. I hit 50 this year and it changed me. 40 was nothing. I look at people older than I am, and the reality of the merciless passage of time is shocking. Sometimes the tick of the clock marking off the minutes is so very loud. Many things to do and directions to go. Your honesty really resonates with me.
Cut your hair! Dye it a wild color if you want to. Pretend to be who you want to be. What is there to loose?
Liz at Bead Contagion
Liz, thanks so much for your kind words!
DeleteThe forties and (maybe) fifties seem like difficult years for many women, and probably men as well. Some of it, for me anyway, is the hormonal changes that seem to be a catalyst for many of the other changes. The body I'd been living in so comfortably and happily (for the most part) for the past 30-odd years was suddenly doing all these weird things that I was not on board with! Traitor! Also, age starts to creep in with its aches and pains and sags and bags.
I liken these years--this rite of passage if you will--to a series of changes and losses that challenge us to renew and reinvent ourselves on every level. It's touch and go as to whether I'll make it through renewed or defeated. But I haven't given up yet.
What an inspiring post for me to read -- from the other side of that window (I just turned 70). Your writing beautifully affirms the creative spirit and the need to nurture and celebrate what we can do, every single day. I hope you feel renewed -- and I appreciate your visit to my site. Yes, I am going to read more of your blog for the wisdom and energy here. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThis means a lot coming from you--an accomplished woman who is living a full life. Thank you!!
DeleteAnd congratulations on turning 70! It's clear that you are still questioning, digging deep and enjoying the fruits of your life.