Thursday, October 10, 2013

OctPoWriMo Day 10 prompt: Poetry collage

Today's prompt is to create a "poetry collage." To pick a favorite poem--can be ours or someone else's--and use that for a prompt. Wowza, this seems really intimidating! Which is kind of odd, because in theory some of the work is already done, right? 

My poem below is in response to the enchanting poem  "The Story Of a Leaf" by Philomel Chowdury. While  Philomel's leaf accepts its place in the cycle of life and death, my poem tells the story of someone who succeeded in defying death, only to wander endlessly as a spirit.


~~~


Wraith
by Christine

Part of me was rotten,
and I knew it was time
to go...

I knew, and I refused.
In a rage, I thrust my fist in the face
of death. I would not go, 
I would not let go!

And so, instead of death's 
release, I remained upon the earth. 
I walked among people, seeing and hearing
and smelling them. Watching as people
were born, lived, and died. 
Watching.

For that is all I could do.
The sweetness of human closeness,
of laughter and love, the warmth
of an embrace. These things
were as dead to me as I was to the
living. 

Part of me was rotten... and the rottenness
spread until I was all rotten.

Sometimes,
I watched an unsuspecting passerby,
sitting under a tree
or on a park bench, or
at the counter of a rundown diner.

Or observed them among themselves
as they spoke of love, life and beyond.
And I became very, very bitter. 
I raged against the life I'd 
once loved, and vowed
to get revenge from those who
had what I could never have
again.

I watched, as I ceaselessly walked the earth,
taunted by life and the living.
I hated the brightness of flowers 
and the joy of new lovers.
I wanted to crush them, and 
scatter their remains at the feet of those
who would care.

Sometimes, someone would sense my presence.
They'd feel a chill, a niggling sense of dread.
Birds would suddenly take flight, or a cat
might raise its back, its fur on end. 
A child, fleeing some nameless, grasping darkness, would
seek comfort in her parents' bed.

These became my pleasures, my
weapon. Fear. My only way of participating in
human affairs. It was like eating ashes
and drinking dirt. 

I watch and I walk, the many names
of fear and the unknown trailing after me.

I exist eternally in the corners
of closed-off rooms 
and the closed-off places in 
the hearts and minds of people. 
People, who I once loved,
who I now hate and envy. 
I am a sentinel standing invisible in plain sight,
yearning for life, banished to immortality.

~~~

Sincerest apologies to Philomel Chowdhury for taking her beautiful, uplifting poem and writing something kind of dark! And it's not even Halloween.


2 comments:

  1. Whoa, Christine, this is rough! I truly hope that this is maybe only semi-autobiographical? Perhaps about a time now passed? Still, I liked the poem and related to it a little more than I would like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not at all autobiographical! Except maybe in a broad sense, that we all feel like outsiders sometimes, and deal with feelings like anger, envy and longing.

      Delete