Monday, October 28, 2013

OctPoWriMo Day 29 prompt: Who are we?

Today's prompt is to write about people who have influenced our lives for the better, and how the relationship has affected us. What a tall order! A veritable Mount Everest.  There are many candidates--family members, friends from the past or present. Pets I've loved, strangers I've encountered. After some deliberation, I'm writing about an art teacher I had in college. He was the first art teacher who really challenged me, who shook how I approached drawing down to the foundation. Once I got over the shock, I became an avid student and am still profoundly grateful for having crossed paths with a wonderful teacher.

~~~


Epiphany

He was a small man
with quick hands
who moved with
a deliberation hinting
at some inner storm.

He had wild hair
and dark, intense
eyes.

He showed me how
to look at things
as I never had before.
To look hard at mundane
objects. And what I saw
opened my eyes.

I did not take the path
he set me on, but I have
not forgotten.
I was changed
for good.

4 comments:

  1. Love it. Isn't is amazing how those teachers stay with us forever no matter what paths we chose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it is amazing. It amazes me how many people shape us over the years, some in small ways and others in more noticeable ways.

      Delete
  2. I never had such a great teacher at school but there was an anormously influencial professor at university who nurtured my floundaring confidnece many times. He taught social (and paranormal) psychology, and her was awesome (socks with sandals and everything!) Loved this, you reminded me of my own experience! Thanks. X

    http://shahscribbles.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good teacher can make a huge difference, especially if we don't have other mentors.

      Delete