~~~
For Love
Oh what a merry chase!
Down winding stairs
and across
crowded rooms
I race,
hoping.
For love I've become
unreliable, a fool,
crazy. Waiting in a car
in the rain.
In vain.
Again, and again
and again.
For a love
that never came.
In love I'm not
myself.
Who is this woman, who
abandons herself?
For love.
For love?
How surprising.
This impulse, it
keeps rising,
whispering to be
noticed.
Perhaps when I'm
old, and it's far
too cold
to stand around
in the rain, waiting.
I'll reach across a table,
assuming that I'm able,
and accept a
gentle invitation.

I enjoyed how you made the statement "...For love" then asked the question "For love?" The pacing was wonderful, too. Nice job!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm having such fun doing the poetry challenge!
DeleteI liked the part when you are not yourself. Glad you are having fun with this...I am too. Not only writing poems but reading some great ones as well.
ReplyDeleteHi Lance! Thanks for commenting. I agree--I've been amazed at some of the lovely, powerful poetry people are writing.
DeleteI think so far this is my favorite! Silly to say that I love your LOVE poem???
ReplyDeleteOh, that is so sweet of you to say! Thank you!
DeleteOh I like this a lot! The rhyme works well...but it's the voice and tone that really stood out for me...I like how the mood shifted from frustration to hope at the end. The second stanza is my favorite! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for mentioning the shift from frustration to hope! That's what I was aiming for, so I'm glad you picked up on that. This one was a lot of fun to write.
DeleteThat second stanza... I hope I've learned my lesson by now!