Today's prompt is to write about family. A loaded topic for nearly everyone! There are so many subjects related to family that I could write about, but I decided to keep it short and sweet, just a brief poem about my dad. For many, many years as a young adult, I felt smothered by what I perceived as his controlling behavior and disapproval with my life choices. But I know that he loved me, as I did him, and that is the important thing. I've accepted his death for the most part, but there are times when I miss him terribly!
~~~
Perspective
I spent years trying to
break free from you.
Now you are gone
and free is the last thing
I feel.

Oh, this really touched me. I had a difficult relationship with my father, who is also gone. I really felt this. X
ReplyDeletehttp://shahscribbles.wordpress.com/
Thanks! For such a small poem it was difficult to write.
DeleteGreat piece, Christine. Isn't it strange how the tiniest of poems can be the most massive of undertakings? :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I wasn't sure it even qualified as a poem, but it seemed to express what I wanted it to, after much wrangling.
DeleteMy previous comment got erased I guess....ooops.... android!? grrrr.....
ReplyDeleteThis said so much with so few words... it was self explanatory ...really lovely and bittersweet.
Aw, thank you!
DeleteExactly what I think of some people, thanks for writing it!
ReplyDelete