Sunday, October 27, 2013

OctPoWriMo Day 27 prompt: Get your rhyme on!

Uh oh... today's prompt challenges us to try our hand at rhyme! Rhyming seems to come so easily sometimes, and some poets seem to have a special gift for it. I am not one of them--I fear that today's offering will come after much trial and error. As it turns out, this one is inspired by the somewhat ambitious dinner I cooked earlier--just for myself, alas. However, preparing the meal reminded me of what an anxious hostess I can be, even thought I know that in the end I always have a wonderful time.

~~~

Offering

At the stove I stand and toil
sauces simmer, water boils
wine is chilling on the table
I'll join you there when I am able.

Hostessing should be such fun
and yet I feel under the gun
to cook a picture-perfect meal
must bring anxiety to heel.

A pinch of this, a dash of that
like pulling rabbits from my hat
to be a cook's indeed an art
I hope I more than look the part!

Now everyone has ate and drank
this hostess has been roundly thanked
a pile of dishes now I face
contented smile my lips does grace.

Homemaker : vector illustration with woman image

5 comments:

  1. THis makes me smile! Its me every time I cook for people who are not the immediate family...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have tons of hostessing anxiety, lol. Just like my Mom did.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE THIS POEM. I love any poetry that takes on cooking! Whimsical, fluid and funny! I think I'll print it out and hang it in my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aw, I'm touched that you'd want to hang it!

      Delete