OctPoWriMo Day 4 prompt: Be gentle with yourself
Today's prompt is about being gentle with your poetic self. I guess that means being kind to yourself as a writer, which can be hard. But instead I wrote about the relentless self-criticism I dish out to myself daily, even hourly, about not being good enough as a person. I hate that I can't seem to become more self-loving.
~~~
but not for me
relief
release
acceptance
love
a smile,
a warm embrace.
laughing with,
not at.
of these,
did I always feel
undeserving?
will I ever
love myself?
Trust your writing and keep writing. I don't know why it's so difficult for writers to 'be gentle' -- but it is!
ReplyDeletehttp://bethandwriting.blogspot.com
Oh thank you, Beth! I need to be much easier on myself, period.
DeleteLovely poem. We as writers have not been treated kindly and I think some of us become writers because we have been through such trials. I don't think there is any one way for us to feel better about ourselves, we just need to keep trying.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Actually, this prompt moved me to list some things I'd do if I really loved and accepted myself instead of being so hard on myself.
DeleteLovely poem. It's often much easier to be kinder to others than to oneself...just keep working at it. :-)
ReplyDeleteYes it is, isn't it? This prompt has inspired my to try a little harder.
DeleteThere are many things I cut myself slack on... writing is not typically one of them although this octpo experience has made me change that... I have definitely been able to let some less than stellar pieces hit the air without excrutiating editing delaying my creativity... Its the challenge of the time constraint I think... Who knows?
ReplyDeleteJust as an aside I want you to know I really love what you've done during this challenge...I don't always have time lately to visit incrementally and am doing the bulk comment method =) but I so enjoy your site! Thanks
Oh wow, THANKS! I'm not an experienced poet, so that is so nice of you to say! I am really enjoying this though, and may continue to explore poetry after we're done.
Delete