Thursday, October 3, 2013

OctPoWriMo Day 3 prompt: I wrote a poem one day

Today's prompt, "I wrote a poem one day," asks us to write a poem about why we wrote our first poem. I'm not sure that what I've written is actually about my very first poem--I probably scribbled something when I was a child--but it's the first one that I clearly remember writing.


~~~

Capture

I wrote a poem one day.

I wrote a poem at sunrise
struggling to give form to
the perfection
of that moment.

The stillness,
tints of blue and gold
illuminating the walls.
The steam rising from a cup
of tea.
The soft sounds of a city
stirring.

I wrote to stop time.
To remember.
To stay suspended
between imagination and reality.





4 comments:

  1. Hmm question what age is half way through life? I enjoyed your poem, how you talk about wanting to still time, hold the moment. I think poetry and writing about the moments in life and wanting to captive them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! I'm 49; if I live to be 100 I guess I'm about halfway through. I probably won't though, so I'm probably closer to... a little over halfway?

      Thanks so much for your comment on the poem! I agree about poetry striving to hold moments in life. Some of them are just too fleeting! I also think that poetry strives to distill the essence of feeling in life's moments, which can be elusive.

      Delete
  2. What a delightful first poem. :) I really loved these lines:

    "I wrote to stop time.
    To remember.
    To stay suspended
    between imagination and reality."

    It totally captures the essence of why we write. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I could find the poem I wrote that day, I remember I really liked it.

      Delete