Saturday, October 5, 2013

OctPoWriMo Day 5 prompt: Writing a List Poem

A list poem is one where you take a phrase and use it at the beginning of every line. Here's mine.
~~~

I Am

I Am
a juggler, with many balls in the air
and fingers in many pies

I Am
a worrier
waiting for the next blow

I Am
a dilettante
moving from one interest to the next
and the next

I Am
a person who cares,
sometimes too much

I Am
a woman who is lonely, 
too often, 
far too often

I Am
an artist,
crazy in love 
with form and line

I Am
a writer,
a pen for hire, another
all mine

I Am
a poet,
messing around
with words

I Am
a musician,
singing to myself

I Am
a daughter,
who never grew up

I Am
a person 
who is never
satisfied

I Am
a Gemini,
two-faced
twins,
angel and devil

I Am
a person who is searching
for something
eternal

I Am





2 comments:

  1. Interesting that your poem begins with "I am" and so each stanza continues, for I'm remembering that the Hebrew name for God (YHVH) translates to "I am that I am". In a way your poem asserts self which is deeply spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for such a beautiful compliment! I did want to infer an aspect of essential being-ness in that way, but I wasn't sure whether or not the attempt was successful. Glad you picked up on that!

      Delete