~~~
Regrets
I'm sorry.
So, so sorry.
I wish I could
go back and
love you like
I should have.
Like you deserved.
I'll never forget
your face
that time I called
you Darling.
It just
slipped out.
I didn't mean it,
except that
I did.
Why, oh why
couldn't I
reciprocate your
feelings?
I actually think
I did,
and that was
the problem.
It got too good, and
I got too scared.
And you paid
the price for me
being broken.
My heart was broken, and
you were brokenhearted.
Sorry about that.
I wish I could have been
the one.
Sometimes I wonder if
you were.
I wish I could go back
and be better.
I loved you as much as
that confused and scared
young girl could.
Enough that how I
hurt you now hurts
me, over and over
and over
when I think
of how
we were.
I imagine
how you must
hate me,
as I've grown to
hate myself
for the way I was
to you.
I'm
sorry. It's not
enough, not
nearly, but
it's all
I'll never get
to say.

My heart was broken, and
ReplyDeleteyou were brokenhearted
I love this line! Its such a wonderful piece of heartfelt regret... is it possible than such emotions can be wonderful? I think so... its the angst that you portray here that really reaches out not just to the recipient of the apology but to anyone who has been where either he or the writer has been.
Oh, thank you! I'm certain that many of us have such regrets. I kind of accept that I was just young and immature, but... I wince when I think of the hurtful behavior that I dished out, somehow unable to stop myself. I hope I'd do better now, but alas I'm not certain!
DeleteThe last stanza caught me. I think the worst thing is not the regret but the lack of opportunity to express it...that really stings. I think your poem captured that. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Yes, that's it. The wondering... and the assumption that they hate you as much as you hate yourself for what happened. Because, who knows what their take on the relationship was?
Delete