Wednesday, October 2, 2013

OctPoWriMo Day 2 prompt: Hiding Places

Today's prompt is about all the places where poetry is hidden. Where do we find our poems? I think I strayed a bit from the prompt, but... sometimes what comes is what comes.

~~~

Synesthesia

Poetry is a visual art.

It is the art of
sky river lollipops
and
liquid caramel trust.

Of
skipping through space daisies
and
hopping on the blue scissors bus.

It is poking at our tears and grief and laughter
one letter at a time
and
playing scrabble with a field of tulips.

It is the art of tasting a sunrise
and reducing it to words so that we may hear its song.


4 comments:

  1. I'd love to play Scrabble with a field of tulips! Very playful verse and I really enjoyed the imagery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of struggled with that line--you can interpret it as tulips being your opponent or as tulips being the game pieces. I decided to just leave it up to the reader!

      Delete
  2. Yes. Yes, it is.

    (I especially love the last 2 lines.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! I love how words can invoke very vivid pictures in our minds.

      Delete