OctPoWriMo Day 29 prompt: Epitaph
Today we write an epitaph poem. This sounds deceptively easy, which means it probably won't be. This one is for our beloved cat Patches. She was wonderful in many ways--a giant sweetheart of a fluffy calico--but we were always tickled when she'd join us for Christmas Eve family time. It was quite out of character for her to get up off the bed in the evenings, especially as she got older, which is why it was so charming and felt so special. We miss you, Patchy.
~~~
Our Christmas Kitty
You didn't leave
your comfy bed often,
but you'd join us
Christmas Eve,
padding down the hall
for company and pets
even in those last years
when moving
wasn't easy.
Unruffled, patient,
zen; these words
described you in life,
and how you
let go with grace
and acceptance
when
it was time.
We think of you often,
sweet Patches;
you will always be
our Christmas kitty.
Now I'm missing my kitty, and I'm all choked up. This is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteOh thank you! She was such a special kitty, wise and loving and goofy.
DeleteChristmas kitty, so zen. How true. A lovely poem and I love my cat too. {Scammie)
ReplyDeletePatches was a sweetie, that's for sure! Thanks for stopping by.
DeleteUgh, all of these epitaphs for pets are making me super sad! I am going to try not to squeeze the LIFE out of my dogs tonight! :)
ReplyDeleteI had a feeling everyone was going to do pets!
Delete